Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Kitchen Womb

Guess what! I'm not homeless! I never thought I'd be so happy to be not homeless. Homelessness has never been a huge concern of mine, I always just figured that I'd have a room in which to sleep and a kitchen in which to cook. For all of you who take shelter for granted, have shame. It can be plucked away from you in two shakes of a lamb's tail if you're not careful... or have a broken dishwasher.

So, to elaborate on my last post a little: we had the genius dishwasher replacement man come by our house to do his job, and he pulled out the dishwasher and said, "you guys have a serious mold problem" and I'm in fear for my life. Then he shot through the window like a bat outta hell with a trail of smoke behind him. Okay, so I made that last part up, but he high-tailed it. Long story short, "mold experts" tore out the floors, counters, cabinents, drywall.. pretty much everything in the kitchen and the basement. All of the basement's contents (including 2 roommates) are now in the living room. Oh! and same with the kitchen's contents. So, basically, I live in a madhouse... with cats.... and lots of roommates... that live in the living room. yay?

They've plastict off the kitchen and basement with an elaborate plastic thingy and lots of tape. It requires one to unzip and zip to go in and out. It's kinda funny lookin though. The other day Chris came through the "zip door" with a basket of laundry and it looked like the kitchen gave birth to him. I think mold spores have a way of not being able to penetrate through tape and plastic. It's like a lead barrier.

On the bright side, we'll have a brand new kitchen when this disaster is over. I'm being pretty upbeat about it. If I bitch and complain, I fear my life, because it's the roommates in the basement that are really inconvenienced. I'm glad I don't have to awaken with people hanging out in my room watching TV everyday.

ah, everyday truly is an adventure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are not homeless, but I had this really nice shopping cart all picked out for you for a Christmas present

claires other stalker said...

Is it like that scene from E.T. where the house is encased in plastic??

Unknown said...

50/50 bleach water, 1000watt full spectrum lights, and a propane constuction heater. Kills all molds. But I guess it's too late.

zipbagofbones said...

SO glad you're not homeless and so glad the mold hasn't killed you yet. And of course, hooray for new kitchens!